We are now 86 days out to November and time to learn a new tool to help identify voters for your candidate. This week, we are covering phone banking.
If you haven’t picked a candidate yet, please find one in your district or in a swing district near you. Swing Left and Sister District have candidates that are in nearby strategic races for you to support.
This Week’s Strategic Action: Phone Banking
Next to canvassing, phone banking is the second most effective method of identifying and persuading voters. Yes, I know, maybe you don’t answer the phone. That is okay because plenty of people do and they do want to talk to you.
I have made thousands of calls over the years, and when I started in 2004, I wasn’t particularly good at it and found it nerve wracking. But it works, so I kept on. Each time I phoned, the easier it got and the more comfortable I felt. And, it kept working so I kept on. I’ve had way more wins than losses and now find it a really satisfying experience.
This is how it works:
- You’ll log onto an on-line system
- You’ll see the person’s name and phone number and you dial on your cell phone
- If the person isn’t home, you mark “not home” in the system and go to the next
- If the person is home, you say why you are calling and respectfully ask that person for their vote
- If they are a supporter, great
- If they are undecided, you may give them a little more information and ask them to consider your candidate
- If they are not a supporter, you thank them and move to the next call
The campaigns use this data to create their “universe” of likely voters and people they know they may need to canvass (the undecideds) and the ones they need to make sure to get to the polls during the Get-Out-the-Vote weekend (the supporters).
And everyone, please sign up with the Last Weekend to get out the Democratic vote where you live.
Please carve out some time in your week to make a few calls. We need you to help put candidates over the top.
Have a great week,